Broome Sports Award
What are the Broome Sports Awards?
Nominations and Judging
The Sports Awards are held annually and acknowledge the high achievements of athletes and volunteers participating in local sport. Nominations are requested from the sporting community.
1. Nominations must be completed on the official Broome Sports Award Nomination Form.
2. Applications will be accepted on the following residential criteria:
a. The nominee will participate predominantly in sporting activities conducted within the Shire of Broome unless the sport does not allow the
opportunity to compete within the region.
b. The nominee is a member of a club or association based in the Shire of Broome unless the sport does not allow the opportunity to compete as
part of a club or association.
c. All nominations must be endorsed by the respective local sporting association or club.
d. Annually an individual can be nominated for multiple categories.
e. Annually an individual deserving a nomination across multiple sports for the same category can only be nominated once per category. This
meaning ONLY a single nomination is to be submitted encompassing all achievements across those multiple sports.
f. As part of the nomination process applicants will be required to provide an additional 100 word promotional paragraph about the nominee. This
information provided about the nominee is the text that will be used and read out on the night of the Sports Awards. We will seek applicant
approval for any edits that may be required.
g. Incomplete applications will not be accepted so the applicant must check that all information including support material and requested photo of
the nominee is provided by the deadline for inclusion in the judging process. The BSA will not follow up on any incomplete or late applications.
h. The nominees shall be selected on their achievements, from 26th October 2020 through to 18th October 2021.
i. Nominations will only be accepted from Monday 13th September 2021 to the 18th October 2021.
The judging panel will comprise a diverse range of people in the community who have a knowledge of local sport. The standard total is nine members and chaired by a member of the BSA Committee.
All judges are asked to evaluate each nominations and rank them accordingly prior to the meeting. Those nominations who have the most number of 1 and 2 rankings will be discussed by the panel to determine the winner in each category.
Nominations are to be provided to the judging panel well in advance of the judging panel meeting.
1. Sport Star of the Year will be awarded to a person aged 18 years and over who has achieved outstanding success in their sport. Voluntary
contributions to their sport/s will also be taken into account by the judges.
2. Rising Sport Star of the Year will be awarded to the person aged between 13 -18 years of age who has achieved outstanding success in their sport.
Voluntary contributions to their sport/s will also be taken into account by the judges.
3. Club of the Year Award will be awarded to the club or association that is operating in a professional manner, is innovative and provides a range of
opportunities for its members to succeed.
4. Volunteer of the Year will be awarded to an individual who has contributed outstanding service to a Club or Association during the judging period.
5. Service to Sport will be awarded to an individual who has contributed outstanding service to a Club/Association in the Shire of Broome over an
6. Remote Community Award will be awarded to an individual or community organisation that is providing outstanding commitment to furthering sport
and recreation initiatives in their community, or who has achieved outstanding sporting success in a Broome-based competition.
7. Coach of the Year will be awarded to a coach who has provided outstanding service in their field to a club or sport, and demonstrated commitment
to continued professional development.
8. Official of the Year will be awarded to an official, including umpires and referees, who have provided outstanding service in their field to a club or sport, and demonstrated commitment to continued professional development.
9. Team of the Year is awarded to a sporting team based in the Shire of Broome who has achieved outstanding success over the past 12 months.
Once the winners have been selected the judging panel are also able to select an individual or team from the nominations that they believe warrants acknowledgment. This award is called the Outstanding Achievement Award.
The BSA committee is also able to select an award in addition to the nominations. This award is known as the Special Recognition Award.